At 9:16 AM -0800 11/15/04, Larry Wall wrote:
On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 09:51:58AM +0100, Leopold Toetsch wrote:
: Yes, as said I'm fine too with that. Perl/Python will do that anyway.
: But what about other languages? Are we forcing these to be as dynamic as
: the primary HLL targets?

In Perl 6, any assumptions that cause inefficiency should be optional.

Okay, for this one if it's optional then we might as well not do it, since it'll work so rarely all it'll be is a massive source of bug reports. "Why did the sub that has no idea that I'm messing with its lexical bindings only spottily and irregularly notice that I rebound them?" I just don't want to go there.

Compilers can assume lexicals aren't going to get rebound outside of their view. They're still going to have to deal with global rebinding.
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk