Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 7:34 PM +0100 11/17/04, Leopold Toetsch wrote:

>>All registers are preserved, but some of these registers are used,
>>either by implict opcodes or as return values.

> Erm, no. Unused registers in the 0-15 range are explicitly garbage:

It was about usabalitiy of registers for the allocator. So before I make
a function call, these are allocatable as temps. Return values are
garbage, if not set.

>      Note that registers 16-31 of each of the four types are, for
>      security reasons, I<never> passed into the invoked subroutine,
>      method, or continuation. They are guaranteed to be garbage.

Not quite. S and P regs have to be NULLed. Or you gonna tell the DOD
system how to mark garbage ;)

>>  > * Registers P4, S1-S4, N0-N4 are free for allocation, regardless.
>>
>>I've included P3 (see below). If it's used it interfers.

> Nope. It'll either be set if a call returns overflow parameters, or
> unused and thus garbage.

Ah, yep. Thanks. It is returned too, forgot that.

leo