On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 10:28:28 -0800, Larry Wall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 02:10:06PM -0800, Larry Wall wrote:
> : I know everone has their reflexes tuned to type qw currently, but
> : how many of you Gentle Readers would feel blighted if we turned it
> : into q:w instead?
>
> Of course, if we wanted to really drive it into the ground, we could
> turn qq// into q:q//, and then there's only one quoter.  I'm sure if we
> tried hard enough we could find someone this appeals to.

You don't even have to look very far.  This seems like a decent idea
to me (although I won't be sad if it doesn't happen).

> We also haven't quite detangled the backslash options.  Seems there are
> four levels of support (using \/ to stand for any terminator character):
>
>     0) none             # <<'' default
>     1) \\ and \/        # q// default
>     2) list             #  (nothing builtin)
>     3) all              # qq// default
>
> We need some way of specifying level 0 for a non-heredoc.  We could turn
> q// into that, I suppose.  If we did, either we'd have to make '' the
> same, or let it differ from q//, neither of which quite appeals to me,
> but I might let myself be argued into one of them or the other.

Actually, I'd like to see '' be a simple, completely raw quoting
construct.  But if we don't do that, we might be able to take a page
out of C#'s book with @"" as the short form of the raw quoting
construct.  (Or something like that--I suspect C# picked @ because
it's otherwise unused.)

Actually, if we do something else with backticks, we can steal
backticks for totally raw quoting...

> I'm open to other ideas, though we must remind
> ourselves that this is all very bike-sheddish.

Oh, I vote for blue paint on that bike shed.

--
Brent 'Dax' Royal-Gordon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Perl and Parrot hacker

There is no cabal.