while you weren't looking, Matt Fowles wrote:

>    Lexicals, Continuations, Register Allocation, and ascii art
>     This thread (and the ones that preceded it) have made me wish that gmail
>     and google groups had a fixed width font option. Sadly, this summary
>     will probably not get me it, as it did not get me p6c either

If you're using Firefox, add:

div.msg div.mb {
    font-family: monospace !important;
    font-size: 10px !important; /* or whatever font size you'd prefer */
}

to your <firefox profile>/chrome/userContent.css and you'll get it in
gmail at least.

Some View Source-ing in Google Groups suggests they're just wrapping
their article bodies in PRE tags there.

/rls