Sam Ruby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Excellent!

Welcome.

> Question: what is the difference (conceptually) between "new" and
> "instantiate"?  If they are different, these differences should be
> highlighted.  If not, the opcode should be named the same in both cases.

$ perldoc -F ops/pmc.ops

       instantiate(out PMC)
           Create a new PMC of the type of class REG_PMC(2). This
           is a classmethod.  Arguments are passed according to
           the calling conventions in
           docs/pdds/pdd03_calling_conventions.pod. See also the
           getclass opcode to get a class PMC.

> Also, I would prefer not to have to deal with implicit registers.

How do you pass a variable amount of initializers then?

E.g.

  .local pmc cl, o
  cl = getclass "Complex"
  o = cl."instantiate"(2, 3)