Hi,

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 13:37:14 -0500, "Michael G Schwern"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 07:21:09PM -0800, Jason Remillard wrote:
> > I ran the codestriker (http://codestriker.sourceforge.net/) test set
> > using Devel::Cover. The test cases ran over a day and a half
> > and generated a cover_db directory that is 127 megs. Attempting to run
> > the cover command keeps using up all of the available memory causing
> > cover to be killed by the OS. I have my swap file up to 1 gig, and after
> > two days of the computer swapping its brains out, it still was not
> > enough memory.
>
> How big is this test suite?  How long does it usually take to run?
> Just trying to get an order-of-magnitude feel here.

I have a really old system. It takes about 1.5 hours normally for the
short version that I ran cover on. On a new computer, it would probably
be 20 minutes or so. The cgi script would be invoked at 1,000-2,0000
thousand times. This is the short test set, the full test set takes
about 14 hours on my computer. I really don't mind the overhead while
running the tests, the real killer is that cover keep using up all of
the
memory and getting killed before it can generate the html report. Even
this, if I need to wait a day, it is ok.

> > Lastly, some documentation on how to use with with a normal cgi script
> > would be helpful. The way I finally got it to work was to rename
> > codestriker.pl (the main cgi perl script), to codestriker_test.pl.
> > Write a new codestriker.pl that just does a system call with the
> > Devel::Cover switch. Perl would not let me add it to the
> > #!/usr/bin/perl line at the start of the script. I would be interested
> > in knowing if a cleaner way is possible, as this is kind of lame.
>
> You just have to say "use Devel::Cover" in your program.  That's what
> -MDevel::Cover means.

Ah, I knew I was missing something obvious, thanks!.
It would be good to put that in the docs, as I missed that.

Thanks
Jason