Leopold Toetsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Sam Ruby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I took a look into this.  Apparently, in Perl5, the result of xor'ing
>> undef with anything is undef.  I'm not suggesting that this is either
>> right or wrong (it actually was surprising to me),
>
> Yep. It doesn't really follow the definition of xor, nor does it match
> the implementation of other types.

  Which Perl5 (xor, undef) would this be?  It does not look like the
result is undef around here:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ perl -le 'print defined($_)?"defined":"undef", ": «$_»"
for map {(undef xor $_), ($_ xor undef), (undef ^ $_), ($_ ^ undef)}
"string", "", -1, 0, 1 , 2'
defined: «1»
defined: «1»
defined: «string»
defined: «string»
defined: «»
defined: «»
defined: «»
defined: «»
defined: «1»
defined: «1»
defined: «4294967295»
defined: «4294967295»
defined: «»
defined: «»
defined: «0»
defined: «0»
defined: «1»
defined: «1»
defined: «1»
defined: «1»
defined: «1»
defined: «1»
defined: «2»
defined: «2»
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ perl -v

This is perl, v5.8.5 built for i686-linux

Copyright 1987-2004, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'.  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.com/, the Perl Home Page.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$
--
C++ is the only current language making COBOL look good.
   -- Bertrand Meyer