On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 10:49:31AM -0500, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> >Yes. I'll presume that the first Perl6 compiler will just emit closures
> >for each block.
>
> Ah, I hope not. I *really* hope not. (Paying attention Patrick? :)
> That'd be rather slower than necessary in most cases.

Yup, I'm paying attention.  :)  While we might just emit closures
for each block in the earliest development versions of the Perl6
compiler just to get things going, I wouldn't expect it to stay that
way for very long.  Certainly I don't think we'll be long past that
by the time we reach a 6.0.0 release of the compiler.

> It is, I
> think, safe to assume that language compilers that want timely
> destruction will make sure to clean up after themselves sufficiently
> to make that timely destruction possible. It's our job to provide the
> mechanisms they need, and leave it to them to use them as needed.

Agreed, with the caveat that we may discover we need some additional
mechanisms as work progresses.  But it's a little early to try to
get it perfect right now -- we'll just cross our bridges when we
get to them.  The important thing will for the compiler writers and
Parrot implementers to be able to adapt quickly when we find the
things we all overlooked.

Pm