On Tue 14 Dec 2004 21:49, Michael G Schwern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Here's all I have to say about tabs.
>
> I expect the source to look the same no matter whose editor, pager, printer
> or utility I run it through.  Literal tabs violate this.  The end.
>
> Here's what I have to say about clever bracing/spacing styles.
>
> Your bracing/spacing style should not be a detriment.  It should not
> be a limitation.  If common editors have trouble dealing with it,
> you've just limited your tool set.

Yes. Ditch emacs. It knows only the *wrong* styles.

> If programmers outside your project look at it and go "Huh?" you've just
> lost yourself a potential patch as they recoil.

Don't think so. spaces and bracing is hard to do it so bad as to other people
unable to be able to read it. It is merely easy to the eye if there is logic,
and maybe more important consistency in indents

        if(expr)
        { func( args ) }else{
        statement;     }
            func ( args);
        if (expr)
            statement;

            wrong_indent;
            and yet more misleading indent;
            if (expr) {
            foo (1);
        }

That is *bad*

> If its so different that looking at other common
> bracing styles is now odious to you, that's a communication problem.
> Part of easy communication is taking advantage of common idioms and
> conventions.  Doesn't matter how clever it is, if its causing conflict with
> outsiders, dump it.

No way. Ever.

If I feel compelled enough to deal with other peoples code, I will adapt where
needed. The fact that I'm a perl5 commiter is a vivid proof of that. If I had
imposed my style on all patches I submitted or applied, I would have been
kicked a long time ago.

We have a small company, and if you like to work with us, you adapt to our
style. Not vise versa. Period.

I've also learned that over time, you can get used to (almost) any style,
given there is some logic about it. I've had to change a lot of my habits in
all the compromises we made, but got used to it.

--
H.Merijn Brand        Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using perl-5.6.1, 5.8.5, & 5.9.x, and 809 on  HP-UX 10.20 & 11.00, 11i,