Sam Ruby wrote:

I took your example code, almost word for word, and added approximately three, count them three, machine instructions (not Parrot instructions, not C statements, but machine instructions) to the path length, and now adjectives like "horribly slow and wierd" come out.

It looks like this mailing list will not be suitable for civilized discussion until Dan gets back.

I've described the functionality of the add *opcode*. You have moved that piece of code to the pmc level (where the implementation of add for one type pair ought to be and currently is) and then your code redispatches to another routine that then actually performs the task. This is not only absolutely not needed it also disallows an efficient implementation.

The horribly slow can be measured easily and I consider this kind of double dispatching as being weird, sorry.

Meanwhile, all existing Python tests pass:

Great.

Merry Christmas.

- Sam Ruby

Merry Christmas too, leo