On Sat, Dec 25, 2004 at 11:04:15PM -0600, Andy Lester wrote:
> I'm working on an article for perl.com on the Phalanx project.  Those of
> you involved, can you please give a summary of what you've done?  Or
> better yet, give me a summary and update the wiki as well?

Don't know if you saw Maddingue's update of his analysis of how many modules
depend on module X.

<Maddingue>     http://nopaste.snit.ch:8001/1458 -- using Module::CoreList and
checking against 5.8.0

That's just for what has META.yml which leaves out about 5500 distributions.
He's working on extending it for the rest.

Also some of them should be aggrigated together (ie. URI and URI::URL are the
same distribution, LWP, LWP::Simple and HTTP::Request, etc...).

There's the "circle jerk" or "nepotism" score to be taken into account.  ie.
Dependencies from modules of the same author should carry less weight.  For
example, Kwiki has a lot of dependencies.  But before you weigh its
importance you must consider many of the modules that depend on
Kwiki were written by Ingy and Autrijus.  So another metric to look at is
not just how many dependents a module has but how many different authors
depend on it.

Finally, you can do a deep dependency scan.  The "how much will break when
this breaks" score.  Taking into account not just what depends on a given
module but what depends on that, and on that and so on down the line.
For example.  In Maddingue's list Class::DBI has 32 dependencies.  Class::DBI
depends on Ima::DBI but Ima::DBI doesn't even show up on the list.  If
Ima::DBI breaks, Class::DBI and everything it depends on breaks.  So all of
Class::DBI's dependencies can be weighted towards Ima::DBI.

I think all of this can be derived from a list of
Module: Dependency1, Dependency 2, etc...

--
Michael G Schwern     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Commence simultaneous panic on my mark.