On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 01:39:25PM +0100, Christian Aperghis-Tramoni wrote:
> I have this error when installing under Solaris 9 :

> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/export/profs/aperghis/parrot/icu/source/common'
> generating dependency information for strprep.cpp
> c++: language M not recognized
> ld: fatal :  bibliothèque -libmil : introuvable
> ld: fatal :  fichier strprep.cpp : type de fichier inconnu
> ld: fatal :  Erreurs dans le traitement des fichiers. Aucun résultat
> n'a été écr
> it dans a.out
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [strprep.d] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/export/profs/aperghis/parrot/icu/source/common'
> make: *** [blib/lib/libicuuc.a] Error 2

Aha. I have this error under Solaris 10. I tracked it down to gmake auto-
generating dependency files (as it is supposed to do) and using g++ specific
command options. I'm not sure if this is an ICU bug. (the bug being assuming
g++ too early)

I don't know how to solve this, as gmake is extremely unhelpful at providing
any debugging info when it comes to automatically generating files included
into the main Makefile, which is how ICU's dependency files are implemented.

Nicholas Clark