Leopold Toetsch wrote:

But we should generalize keys eventually. Keys can provide an index for aggregates and allow chaining of indices for nested aggregates. Arrays are simple: the key is an integer. But hashes currently don't support non-string keys easily. We should be able to use arbitrary PMCs as hash keys. The way to go here is to use the VTABLE_hash method to generate an index aka hash value usable for accessing hashes.

See: http://xrl.us/emnk

Except for fromkeys, get_string, and __new__, the logic is not Python specific, and could easily be refactored into a common base class for others to use.

- Sam Ruby