Sorry if you get this twice (and slightly different), but I posted it
off list by mistake.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Thomas Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:22:44 +0000
Subject: Re: Junctive puzzles.
To: Matthew Walton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > What if junctions collapsed into junctions of the valid options under
> > some circumstances, so
> >
> > my $x = any(1,2,3,4,5,6,7);
> > if(is_prime($x) # $x = any(2,3,5,7)
> > and is_even($x) # $x = any(2)
> > and $x > 2) # $x = any()
>
> This is Just Wrong, IMO. How confusing is it going to be to find that
> calling is_prime($x) modifies the value of $x despite it being a very
> simple test operation which appears to have no side effects?
>
> As far as I can see it, in the example, it's perfectly logical for
> is_prime($x), is_even($x) and $x > 2 to all be true, because an any()
> junction was used. If an all() junction was used it would be quite a
> different matter of course, but I would see is_prime() called on an
> any() junction as returning true the moment it finds a value inside that
> junction which is prime. It doesn't need to change $x at all.
>
> In a way, you're sort of asking 'has $x got something that has the
> characteristics of a prime number?' and of course, $x has - several of
> them, in fact (but the count is not important).

Is it perhaps the comments that are wrong, rather than the code?

my $x = any(1,2,3,4,5,6,7);
if(is_prime($x) # expression evaluates to any(2,3,5,7)
  and is_even($x) # expresion evaluates to any(2, 4, 6)
# at this point the boolean expression evaluates to any(2) - is this
the same as 2?
  and $x > 2) # expression evaluates to any(3,4,5,6,7)
# so result is false
# $x is still any(1,2,3,4,5,6,7)

Is this right?

Is the following comment correct?

my $x = any(2,3,4,5) and any(4,5,6,7); # $x now contains any(4,5)

Tom