Rod Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Larry Wall wrote:
> >That, and we'd like a novice to be able to write
> >
> >    given $x {
> >       when 1 | 2 | 3 {...}
> >       when 4 | 5 | 6 {...}
> >    }
> >
> Or just change C<when> to accept a list of things to compare against,
> followed by a coderef.

And change if, unless, while and until to do the same thing.  And lose
the ability to say:

    when none(1, 2, 3) { ... }
    when 1 ^ 2 ^ 3  { ... }    # More useful with classes, regexen, etc.
    when 1 & 2 & 3 { ... }    # Likewise

All so that a newbie doesn't confuzzle himself.

Personally, I'd rather have a chain saw than a nail trimmer, even if
I'm less likely to hurt myself with the nail trimmer.  And it looks
like we'll have a warning or stricture to keep newbies from chopping
their legs off anyway.

--
Brent 'Dax' Royal-Gordon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Perl and Parrot hacker

"I used to have a life, but I liked mail-reading so much better."