On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 10:14:01AM -0800, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 05:48:28PM +0000, Fergal Daly wrote:
> > In the case of though darcs though, is Perl just testing the output of
> > commands that have been systemed? If so they could just add 2>&1 to the
> > command line and then ignore stderr,
>
> Darcs runs on non-Unix.  2>&1 is not cross-platform.

I ported something form linux to win not so long ago and it worked. Googling
for

"2>&1" windows

turns a few batch files that use it and also

http://mailman.lyra.org/pipermail/scintilla-interest/2002-September/001629.html

which claims it's OK for NT and 2000 but not for Win 9x.

Anyway, darcs is already expecting a bash-like shell for configure and GHC
needs mingw. I'm not too familiar with win but it should be possible to
twiddle the command line so that even on win 9x the system() call ends up in
bash rather than command.com but I don't imagine too many people are use
darcs and win 9x,