Millsa Erlas wrote:
What is the current status of the development of the Parrot and the Perl 6 compiler written in Perl? I hope that producing a Perl 6 compiler written in Perl 6 and the Parrot VM is still a high priority and is being actively developed as the premier compiler and VM for the Perl 6 language. A Perl 6 compiler written in Perl 6 I believe is an extremely useful and essential component since it will allow Perl programmers to participate and assist in the development of the Perl 6 compiler. Also where is the CVS/SVn repisitory for Perl6 compiler kept these days?

I've been following the development of pugs (http://pugscode.org/), so I can give a short answer based on that.

While pugs is currently written in Haskell, roadmap does mention the idea to eventually port pugs to perl6 if needed, which would give us a Perl 6 compiler written in Perl.
(see http://svn.perl.org/perl6/pugs/trunk/docs/01Overview.html)

The "if needed" means, I'd guess, that if no other implementation of perl6 compiler written in perl exists at that time, we can get one from the pugs project.

About the status of pugs-project: Pugs is currently approaching first milestone 6.2. Because this project is still so new, it's quite impossible to give any estimates about any further milestones. (And porting pugs to Perl6 is the final milestone v6.283185)

I think that after few months of development, we should have a lot better picture of how quickly pugs-project can continue to implement the various features perl6-language requires.

And of course we will eventually need working Parrot to compile perl6 into a Parrot-code, but I don't know much about that as I'm currently mainly interested about the development of pugs-project.

--
Markus Laire
<Jam. 1:5-6>