On 14.Feb.2005 09:01PM -0800, chromatic wrote:

> Here's my list of suggestions for each:
>
> 1) label, description
> 2) directive, instruction
> 3) diagnostic
>
> I want to avoid the word "comment" altogether, making the
> optionalness of #1 and #3 evident in their words, the
> activeness of #2 evident in its word, and any comparison to
> Perl's comments in syntax or name go away.

I think "description," "directive," and "diagnostic" fit those
constraints. However, the distinction between #1 and #3 still
seems unclear.

For #3: anecdote? metalabel? "optional postfix description
informatron"? scuttlebutt? tittle-tattle?

To think outside the box, do we actually _need_ both #1 and #3 on
the same line for reasons other than backwards compatibility?

As for synonyms, try out the OneLook reverse dictionary:

    http://www.onelook.com/reverse-dictionary.shtml

It usually provides. Other times, such as in the case of
searching for "optional note," it produces completely silly
results such as "linseed oil." Go figure.

--
Ian Langworth
Project Guerrilla