On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 08:59:32AM -0800, Larry Wall wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 08:10:15AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> : I ran into this problem while creating a mini-list of S29 functions
> : (which Rod's work supercedes, I suspect, and I'm very glad he's taking
> : this on).  What are some guidelines we could use in deciding
> : which functions are automatically in ::* ?  Or is this just a case
> : where we need to use past experience and best guesses as our guide?

>   * Another confounding factor is that memes tend to come in bundles,
>     and you'd kind of like to keep the bundles together.  So my earlier
>     question really amounted to whether POSIX was really a valid
>     bundle of memes.  (Probably not.)  On the other hand, the trig
>     functions might well be a valid bundle, and we might want to
>     keep them all together either in * or Trig.

To me it seems that a there are some groups of core builtins in Perl 5
that group conceptually quite well, and it's sensible to remove en mass,
which are the builtins that aren't really useful in Perl 5 without loading
an extension module. So all the socket related builtins aren't much use
without the constants exported by Socket; and the System V IPC builtins
aren't much use without the IPC::SysV, so they could quite easily be
exported by that instead.

But then it gets less obvious what other groups from the top of perlfunc.pod
might manage a discrete exit from ::* without anyone noticing. So, no, I
don't have an answer :-)

Nicholas Clark