On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 05:42, Rod Adams wrote:

> Hmm. maybe we just need a function that loads an entire file and returns
> a string of it, then feeds that to eval.

Well, I wasn't getting into the IO stuff, but since you said it, this
crosses a line with many related IO operations. I would call that
function "read".

Given no parameters the read method on a filehandle (or procedural read
function, given a filehandle) is a convenient "getrecord", so given:

        read :file("foo")

you have your "read a whole file" (assuming that the default
record-separator for such an operation would be undef).

Thus:

        eval read :file("foo");

There you have it.

--