The problem with using the units(1) database is that it only deals with
multiplicative relations -- so, e.g., it won't handle temperature.

Units resolvers are not so hard to come by -- the strategy is to try to break
each compound unit out into a collection of fundamental quantities that
are interconvertible (e.g. all lengths get converted to "meters"), while
keeping track of the conversion constant.  I haven't looked at units(1) in
a while, but it used to do this to both the original units and the destination
units, then take the ratio of the accumulated constants.  That's why the
"conformability" error messages are sometimes a little weird: they always
refer to the fully expanded SI representation of each unit.

Quoth Aaron Sherman on Monday 28 March 2005 03:40 pm,