James Mastros skribis 2005-04-01 22:48 (+0200):
> $x = 42;
> $a = \$x but false;
> $b = \$y but blue;
> $a =:= $b ???

Even without the buts, that is:

    $x = 42;
    $a = \$x;
    $b = \$x;

I strongly believe that $a =:= $b must be false. Assignment copies! $a
=:= $b should be true only if $a and $b are the same variable
themselves, as can be accomplished by a simple $a = $b or by passing $b
as an argument to a closure somehow, like in given $a -> $b { ... }.

If =:= has nothing to do with :=, it shouldn't look like it that much.
If it tests reference equality, possibly referencing non-references, it
should be spelled =\= instead, although I really question the practical
use of such operator.

Juerd