On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 22:28 -0400, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> According to MrJoltCola:
> > At 06:24 PM 4/6/2005, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> > >  * What platforms are required for release?  I'd guess that we'd get
> > >    almost of all of our developers (and users, for that matter) with:
> > >
> > >      darwin
> > >      linux-x86-gcc3.*
> > >      win32-ms-cl
> >
> > You should round that out with 64-bit Sparc.
>
> How many Sparc developers have we got?

Not many active ones.

> On related questions: Could you unpack for me the status of 32-bitness
> vs. 64-bitness in the Sparc world?  Are all (most of) the chips
> 64-bit, and for how long?  The kernels?  The apps?

The last four generations of SPARCs are 64-bit, and can execute 64-bit
and 32-bit applications concurrently, dependent on the kernel.  All the
recent SPARC-based kernels are 64-bit.  IIRC, Solaris 10 on SPARC and
x86-64 now use the same code base (unlike the previous 32-bit x86
kernels).  Applications are still mixed, and (from my experience),
predominantly 32-bit, unless some specific feature is needed.

While the SPARC's still a viable chip to target, it's probably the
tertiary driver, IMHO.  Making sure Parrot works in both 32-bit and
64-bit environments is most important - at a minimum, some LP64 platform
for the monthlies: ILP64 platforms can follow later (quarterlies?).
(After all, there won't be much pure 32-bit left after too long.)

The Solaris environment is probably secondary - Solaris headers, paths,
tools, compilers, etc. - but it doesn't necessarily matter whether it's
SPARC-based or not.

--
Bryan C. Warnock
bwarnock@(gtemail.net|raba.com)