At 06:57 PM 4/11/2005, Matt Diephouse wrote:
Now that IMCC is a core part of Parrot, I'd like to see the imcc/
directory go away. I'd be willing to spend some time trying to prepare
some patches (it'd be a good way to become more familiar with the
source), but I have a few questions first:

(1) Is this desirable?

Technically IMCC should be separate

I think mild separation that still exists is a good thing. IMCC does
not actually execute anything, it is a "registered" front-end that
handles PIR and PASM. You could add another front-end
called PIR2 if you wanted. It just so happens that IMCC is the
default front-end.

 (3) Should all the headers in imcc/ be moved to include/parrot/?
 (4) Should all the files be moved to src/?

You should be able to build a standalone VM that will run pre-compiled bytecodes without including the full parser/compiler, IMO. I'd prefer to see the separation continue.

Regards,

-Melvin