    Jeff> all you should need to include is embed.h, extend.h and for
    Jeff> now, resources.h.  i'm actually working on fleshing these
    Jeff> files out to be more consistent wrt the public API.

I'm getting real close now.

But I'm having problems creating the parrot strings. I'm using

Parrot_new_string

and I'm passing "UTF-8" as the encoding name.

I get back:

Can't make 'UTF-8' charset strings

Despite what the documentation says:

encoding

This specifies the encoding used to encode the characters in the
data. There are currently four character encodings used in Parrot:
singlebyte, UTF-8, UTF-16 and UTF-32. UTF-16 and UTF-32 should use the
native endianness of the machine.

So does that mean I'm limited to singlebyte strings? If so, how do I
specify this encoding, and what is the character set that is used?
(US-ASCII ?)
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire