You get all those possibilities whenever you install any new version of a module you get from someone else, regardless of a p5->p6 hop. In p6, when you say "use Digest;", you are specifically asking for what p6 considers the "latest" version. In p5, it was "first match on libpath".

Except that within Perl 5, there is an general expectation that the same API will exist across multiple module versions. It is assumed that newer versions of a module will continue to work the same as older ones, with API breakages being a bad and rare thing.

The 6 month long mod_perl Apache::->Apache2:: argument was over this very thing. There is a huge difference between an API version and a module (implementation) version.

As far as I'm aware, there is no expectation that *every* module in Perl 6 that shares a name with a module in Perl 5 will merely be a re-implementation of the same API in Perl6.

If I am expected to reimplement all my Perl 5 modules in Perl 6 without the opportunity to do a better job and take advantage of new Perl 6 API-related features, could someone please point my boot in the general direction of the ass of whoever came up with that idea.

Adma K