On Tue, 31 May 2005 07:07:28 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jerry Gay) wrote:
> On 5/31/05, Nigel Sandever <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The parrot makefile has several places where nmake baulks at the length o=
> f the
> > expanded command lines.
> >=20
> though you weren't explicit, i suspect you're using the ms c++ toolkit
> to build parrot on win32. some months ago, i ran into the same
> problem. since i have switched to msvc, i have not ran into any
> command-line length problems, nor have i read any reports of these
> problems with cygwin or mingw.

jerry,

That was the clue-bat I needed. A bug in the pugs makefile where it was looking
for 'nmake' rather than 'nmake.exe' caused it to download nmake v1.5.

The ordering in my path meant that it, was being found before nmake v7 (or v8).

Deleting it, allowed v7 to be found and Parrot now builds correctly.

It might be worth mentioning this nmake version dependancy in readme.win32
where
it also suggests getting nmake v1.5.

> ~jerry

Thanks for your help.