On 7/1/05, David Landgren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> demerphq wrote:
> > On 6/30/05, Michael G Schwern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >>Yves has some controversial ideas about what is and is not data structure
> >>equivalence.  I'd like comments on it.
> >

> > Well while im disappointed that its considered to be a controversial
> > position (why is accuracy and correctness controversial?) i do beleive
>
> Accuracy and correctness are Good. Breaking backwards compatibility is Bad.

Maintaining erroneous behaviour in the Perl _standard_ test suite in
the name of backwards compatibility is IMO even Worse.

Overall this change will proabably catch some bugs, and only affect a
small number of people. The breakage IMO is acceptable as the long
term result will be a better test suite and less bugs as the people
depending on is_deeply() to work as it says will suddenly find that it
does.

> > it is important that this is debated outside of just the perl-qa list
> > (its not that high traffic or visibility IMO) so I have taken the
> > liberty of starting a thread on Perlmonks about this. It is at
> > http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=471639.
>
> Ohh, that'll make schwern happy :)

Heh. One day hopefully Schwern will get over his apparent prejudice
about the place.

> > I also beleive that as Test::More is core it has certain obligations
> > that mean that this issue should probably also be discussed on p5p.
> >
> > But for now lets see what happens. The motivation of all of us Im sure
> > is the best interests fo the Perl community who consider Test::More to
> > be a critical module whose quality and standards are vital to the
> > ongoing success of the Perl world.
> >
> > After all this is the perl quality assuarace list right?
>
> Of course it should be possible to test for referential equality, if you
> need it, you need it bad, and nothing else will do. I don't think anyone
> questions you on this. I don't, however, think it is feasible to make
> is_deeply() do this, for historical reasons.

Well, then is_deeply() should be deprecated and supported only for
backwards compatibility and it should be replaced by proper
technology.

> I would add this new functionality via a new looks_like() or
> is_deeply_ref() routine. No debate there: if people don't need it they
> won't (have to) use it.

Well, there does seem to be quite a bit of agreement that a new tool
that does it properly should be added to T::M. At least thats the way
it feels to me.