On 7/3/05, Andrew Pimlott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 01:53:45PM +0200, demerphq wrote:
> > >
> > > Citing "computer science" as the basis of your position is just too
> > > much.   The "computer science" answer to the comparison of references is
> > > that they are equal if and only if they are the same reference.
> >
> > We arent talking about reference equivelence, but rather topological
> > equivelence or graph equivelence.
>
> That's fine, I just object to throwing around "observationally
> equivalent" or "bisimilar" to justify this.

I used the term structurally equivelent, and i wouldnt say that
"observationally equivelent" is that far off. I didn't use
"bisimular", Fergal did.

> > > Finally, I think that comparing functions (which started this
> > > discussion) is insane!
> >
> > And on the TODO list now. Its actually not that hard to do.
>
> It may be not that hard to determine whether two functions have the same
> implementation, but of course you'll never determine (in general)
> whether two functions have the same behavior.  So such comparisons will
> always be of limited usefulness--say, for testing (de)serialization, as
> Michael said.

Well I think thats a matter of opinion. But even if it does "just"
help testing (de)serialization modules, thats still a good thing. Most
of the serialization modules out there have some pretty signifigant
flaws, probably because historically the best testing tool for this
has been equivelent Data::Dumper dumps and DD itself is flawed.

Yves