On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 13:55:56 -0700, Larry Wall wrote:

> On the other hand, if the basic Str type is unwilling to take on the
> burden of being parameterized, we could generate all our funny string
> types by mapping a string name to an array declaration.
>
>     my Str $foo is Array of byte;
>
> or some such.  But maybe we can make Str of byte mean that by way
> of shorthand

If this means that the string role, composed with the array role is
just a way to apply a bunch of really cool operations (rules,
substringing, composition, conversion) onto a stream of things that
know to do the Char role, can we have monads too? ;-)

Seriously though, haskell's way of treating strings as lists make
strings useful in a totally different way than perl5 makes them
useful, and I'd like to have both.

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the string-is-a-list mindset
is that Parsec can parse any list of crap into any structured crap.
It's only affinity towards real strings and characters is the
builtin library of useful rules.

--
 ()  Yuval Kogman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 0xEBD27418  perl hacker &
 /\  kung foo master: /me has realultimatepower.net: neeyah!!!!!!!!!!!!