On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 13:39:44 -0700, Larry Wall wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 12:55:26PM -0400, Nathan Gray wrote:
> : So long as .foo (pretty please) means $_.foo all the time (with sugar on
> : top?).
>
> It means that all the time, but only when unambiguous.  If you say
>
>     use dot;

ICK! TOO MANY CHOICES!

If we have pragmas for the 99 Perl6's that every wacko wants to
have, we won't have any readability.

The syntax needs to be consistent and useful, even at the price of
some danger.

I don't want to be using a language designed for idiots - I know
what I'm doing, and I like the power that perl 5 has given me.

How many times have you typed

        map { chr }
        map { lc }
        grep { defined }

and then got bummed out that you can't have

        grep { .is_moose }

since it's in a method.

That really sucks.

I'd rather have '.foo' not work on $?SELF at all than have that.

--
 ()  Yuval Kogman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 0xEBD27418  perl hacker &
 /\  kung foo master: /me dodges cabbages like macalypse log N: neeyah!