----- Original Message -----
From: "Stevan Little" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Perl 6 Modules

| Gav,
|
| Welcome aboard. You might also want to hop onto the #perl6 channel over
| at irc.freenode.net it is where many of use spend way too much time,
| and a great place for asking questions like these.

Thanks, I have visited #perl6, being in Australia may be the reason why
I havent caught anyone there so far.

| Actually it seems someone has done something here, because when I go to
| www.perl6.com I get forwarded to
| http://dev.perl.org/perl6/?HiFromPerl6.com.

Spooky, something has been done , nothing to do with my mentioning
of it but the timing was there :)

| As for the howtos, modules, etc. much of those are centrally located,
| and that is in the Pugs distribution. It will certainly not be the
| final place for them, but it is their current home.

Thanks, yep got them. Some people may wish to 'view' some of what
is available before download, but that will come.

| CPAN has no real rules, so you can submit a Perl 6 module if you like,
| but it will likely be frowned upon. Currently all the working Perl 6
| modules are inside Pugs since that is the only thing which will
| currently run them.
|
| However, this will not always be like this, but since we are still very
| early in the development of Perl 6/Pugs it makes sense.

Yes, I get it now, having a section on CPAN dedicated to Perl6 Modules
does give the impression that is the expected place for them. Maybe it is
just there 'ready and waiting'. So I (or anyone) should submit to Autrijus
or to pugscode.org ? or to the list.

| Pugs is (at the moment) just a reference implementation of Perl 6.
| Autrijus is fond of saying that Pugs is "optimized for fun". Which is
| to say that it is not meant to be the real Perl 6 production release,
| but instead a "sandbox" in which everyone can experiment with the Perl
| 6 language, and therefore provide more concrete feedback to the Perl 6
| design team.
|
| Parrot is a virtual machine, from it's birth it was envisioned that it
| would run Perl 6, however, Parrot is (and will be) much more than just
| a Perl 6 VM. Currently Pugs will "use" Parrot to handle things like
| Perl 6 rules and grammers, and Pugs also supports a very experimental
| "compile Perl 6 for Parrot" feature.
|
| And finally Perl 6 (the official release) does not exist yet.

Thanks for the info.

El-Stupido question then using basic example :-

Supposing I have a .pl file that sends a newsletter and starts off with as
normal

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser);
use CGI qw(:standard);

use DBI;
$|=1;
$textfile = param('textfile');
$htmlfile = param('htmlfile');
$subject = param('subject');
#$username = param('username');

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

etc etc ......

What would be the changes required to write this a Perl 6 file, my guess is
:-

#!/usr/bin/pugs
use v6;

but I don't know about the rest of it.

I'd like to get this sorted first and then write a test perl6 module and use
that in my test perl 6 script. Then I think the fog will have cleared.

| As I said above, #perl6 over on irc.freenode.net is also a very good
| place. In fact, I highly recommend that you drop by and chat if you are
| interested in doing any Perl 6 work.

Will continue to do so and hope to catch some of you there, if only to watch
and learn for the first little while.

| The idea is to have Perl 6 be able to load and run Perl 5 code. This
| will be accomplished through the Ponie project, (which is an
| implementation of Perl 5 on Parrot). Currently Pugs has support for
| this and autrijus actually has some Perl 6 code in production, which
| uses Pugs to load the Perl 5 DBI module.

Cool, sounds like the sort of thing I need in my Q above.

| > Is there a Perl5 to Perl6 Module converter in the making ?
|
| I highly doubt this will ever exist. Not only is Perl 6 a very
| different language from Perl 5, but good Perl 5 module design will not
| be the same as good Perl 6 module design.
|
| However, that said, we have ported a number of popular/useful Perl 5
| modules to Perl 6. They can be found in the Pugs distribution here
| http://svn.openfoundry.org/pugs/ext/

Thanks, taking a look.

| Well to start with, being a month behind is a loooong period of time in
| Pugs development. Pugs is a very fast moving project, so much so that
| by the time the CPAN release hits the main CPAN mirror, it is usually
| already out-dated.
|
| There was someone who was making windows binaries, but I am not sure if
| that is still the case. Again, #perl6 is a great place to ask about
| this stuff.

Thanks Again, if there is a shortage of people doing this, maybe it is
something
I could do if there was a demand. (?)

| More tester and more platforms are always welcome. You might want to
| check if GHC (the Glaskow Haskell Compiler) runs on that platform first
| (as you will need that to compile Pugs).

The main site mentions Solaris but then the downloads page does not, so I
guess
I'll go for FreeBSD or Windows version.

Thanks

Gav...