On Jul 23, 2005, at 17:46, Klaas-Jan Stol wrote:

I've been in situations that you would want to call the superclass' constructor from the child's constructor, this is handy in situations that you want to add some extra things to the constructor, and you don't want to duplicate the code. So, in my opinion it would be handy.

Yep

A somewhat related point to this, as well as related to an earlier question of mine wrt implementing PMCs in PIR; is it possible to access the internal datastructure of the PMC in PIR? So, for example, if you would want to set/get the integer value of a PMC in PIR, how would you do that? (or will there be supporting syntax for that?)

Exactly as I"ve shown above with the string access. A ParrotObject subclassed from a PMC has an instance of that PMC as it's first attribute - named '__value'. If the object is created from a class w/o a PMC parent (i.e. with the newclass opcode) you have to implement all the vtables in PIR and store the information in some attribute, you have to create too.

klaas-jan

leo