David Formosa wrote:

> I can see advantages to both approches.  All GC systems have a hit
> when they run, in some situations it would be nice to shift the hit to
> times when it doesn't mattor that much.  For example a GUI app may
> delay the GC till when the user has been idle for a while.

    Has any thought been given to using a concurrent garbage collector
for Perl6?  Besides eliminating GC pauses (which in turn means less of a
need for users to fiddle with the GC settings, and therefore a smaller
chance of accidently screwing it up), it might be one of the easier
sources of parallelism to exploit on multi-processor machines.  And it
could open the door for more soft realtime applications in Perl (audio
processing, games, etc.).

Thoughts?

Greg Buchholz