[Argh! Posted to google groups again!]

Bernhard Schmalhofer wrote:
> Amir Karger schrieb:

> >I have a test script that runs 85 tests (and will run many more once I
> >write more opcodes.

> >So if all I want to do is, essentially, perl -e 'chdir languages/Z and
> >system("parrot z3.imc t/test.z3")' and let the script print out a
> >bunch of (not )?ok's for Test::Harness to read, what should I do in my
> >t directory?

> AFAIK there are no strict testing requirements for language implementations.
> I think that the most important thing is to try to be nice.

Or, as a wise comedian once said, "Be Excellent to each other".

> There are three things that I want to suggest:

> i. Z/t/z3.t should be a Perl5 script that prints output in Test Anything
> Protcol.
> So put your 'system("parrot z3.imc t/test.z3")' into Z/t/z3.t

Done (ish).

> ii. Z/t/harness should behave like most other 't/harness'. It executes
> the t/*.t files and prints
> a harness report of the output.

I think I can copy someone else's pretty much verbatim

> iii. 'Z/t/harness --files' returns the list of test files.

Looks like I can perl -pe 's/urm/Zcode/' urm/t/harness >
Zcode/t/harness

> You could also try to put 'Z' into @unified_testable_languages of
> 'languages/testall' and add support for Z in
> 'config/gen/makefiles/languageĀ­s.in'. Calling 'make languages-test' could
> then test 'Z' along the other languages.

I think I'll try that once I can get make test to work.

> > (Also, how do I make sure it'll find parrot before make
> >install has been done?)

> I would expect that an install parrot is only found when the
> executable 'parrot' is in $PATH.
> Before installation I usually use $FindBin::Bin for building up the
> relevant paths.

OK. I see others say PARROT=../../parrot

Thanks,

-Amir