On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 10:25:32PM +1000, Adam Kennedy wrote:
> >In particular, the DBI must not mandate impossible levels of support from
> >the drivers. It will benefit you nothing if the DBI is immaculate and
> >wonderful and incredibly all-singing and all-dancing, but no-one can write
> >a driver for it because the requirements cannot be met by the actual DBMS
> >that Perl + DBI needs to work with.
>
> I concur. Like CPAN as a whole, DBI's strength is in it's complete and
> near universal coverage of all databases, and insanely great (and
> occasisionally greatly insane) drivers that do strange and wonderful things.
>
> If we start sacrificing drivers by raising the bar too high, DBI as a
> whole suffers. Anyone proposing new features for DBI needs to be
> extremely careful of CYJ syndrome.
>
> Can't You Just (or sometimes Could You Just) syndrome is described here.
>
> http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?CouldYouJust
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3593
> http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?JustIsaDangerousWord
>
> Go read them now. I'll wait...

That's a significant part of what happened to perl5-porters in The Bad Years.

Many more talkers than doers and much use of "we could do ..." when
the doing would clearly have to be done by someone else.

> I have an increasing suspicion that having open design processes like
> the Tim's call for comments plays a big part in it as well.

Did I ever say we'd have an open design process?  :-)

I just called for suggestions, proposals, and random thoughts.
It's my job to mix those in with my own random thoughts and
try to distill something reasonably coherent and Practical.

Then we'll go round the loop a few (dozen) times kicking the tires
and mixing metaphors till enough people are happy enough.
(I get the casting vote on behalf of the silent majority :)

I was a little dissapointed that there wasn't greater focus on using
Perl6 features - especially as it would have helped kick-start my own
understanding of Perl6 topics that I expect to be significant (such as
Roles and Pairs, to pick two at random). Perhaps the community of
Perl6+DBI users is too small at this point.

And nobody mentioned JDBC as a potential model. Odd that.

Still, I'm sure things will liven up once I've put an initial sketch
together...

Tim.