I've been trying to thing about how to make this read right without too much line noise. I think Lukes keyword approach ("named") is on the right track.

If we want named params at both start and end, then its bound to be a bit confusing. But perhaps we can say that they're always at the end -- but either at the end of the invocant section or the end of the args.

Also, "named" is a bit of a clumsy name. "Where" and "given" are taken, so I'll use "with":

I think something like these read nicely, without too much line noise:

  draw_polygon $canvas: @verticies with color => "red";

  draw_polygon $canvas with color => "red": @vertices;

Dave.