# New Ticket Created by  Joshua Hoblitt
# Please include the string:  [perl #37287]

Subject: Re: [perl #22343] pdb + internal_exception = segfault
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:03:15 -0400 (EDT)
To: Joshua Hoblitt via RT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Simon Glover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Joshua Hoblitt via RT wrote:

>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] - Tue May 27 19:30:39 2003]:
>>

>> Currently, if you're in the debugger, and do anything that causes an
>> internal_exception call within the interpreter, you get a segfault.

[Backtrace snipped]

>> ...etc
>>
>> I think what's happening is that we're trying to destroy the
>> interpreter
>> that pdb itself is using, which will clearly cause bad things to
>> happen.
>
> Does this bug still exist?

I've just tried this out with the current snapshot, and you no longer
get a segfault. However, I'd still argue that the interaction between
pdb and Parrot's exception code remains buggy, as hitting an internal
exception call kills not only the currently executing code but also
kills the whole pdb session. It would be more useful if it just dropped
you back to the main pdb prompt. Whether this is worth fixing depends
on the perceived usefulness of pdb, and so isn't my call -- I certainly
have no time to work on it for the forseeable future.

Regards,
Simon