Leopold Toetsch wrote:

On Oct 1, 2005, at 18:11, Klaas-Jan Stol wrote:

ah I thought so. just making sure. Then another question WRT this; will there be a register allocator? In other words, an attempt to minimize the number of needed registers? (in my simple code generator implementations, any time I need a new register, I just increment a counter, and use that, so in that case there is No register allocation scheme)

Sure, the register allocator will remain. The "increment the counter" strategy is fine. The only difference will be that all lexicals and persistent variables, which are used around a function call, will be assigned to distinct Parrot registers. This strategy will solve the still lurking continuation bug that was discussed excessively here. Temps, not used around a function call, will have their registers reused as now.

maybe I misunderstand, but does the above mean that lexicals are stored in registers, instead of storing them in scratchpads? (with lexicals being local variables in a function, with the addition of being also accessible from nested functions)

klaas-jan