On Oct 3, 2005, at 22:57, Will Coleda wrote:

3) Keep a global counter that is incremented whenever a procedure is created or rename'd. When generating the compiled code, key against this counter - if it's changed, we must fall back to the interpreted version. (which, although it starts out with a a call to the compiled builtin, might have been replaced at that point.).

I don't see the point. Your compiler can emit, e.g.:

  "while"(test, body)

You provide an appropriate implementation of a default "while" function, in your default namespace. Whenever user code overrides the "while" word ("set while $foo" - or some such - I dunno Tcl syntax details), you store_global the new implementation as a compiled function into the same namespace (or as a lexical).

Done.

Regards.

leo