On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 11:06:22AM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> Likewise. A certain reputable OS vendor's NFS implementation went
> multithreaded, with the result that close() was now where the over quota
> error was reported, rather than the individual writes.
>
> Said reputable OS vendor's own C compilers weren't checking close(), so
> they were caught out by this too.

If it's the vendor I'm thinking of, their compress(1) command didn't check
for close() errors either. The net result of this was that when my NFS users
went over quota, then tried to make space by compressing some files, they
ended up with lots of zero-sized foo.Z files with the original foo deleted.
They were not happy bunnies.

--
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what
they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand.