On 2005-10-21 1:54 PM, "Nate Wiger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> BTW, C and PHP both use -> "still".

C++ is probably more relevant than C, but since it inherited the syntax,
same diff.  But in their case the underlying form is still a dot;  A->B is
just syntactic sugar for (*A).B. The distinction involved doesn't really
exist in Perl, so it only needed one form, and $Larry decided to go with dot
for concatenation and the arrow for dereferencing.  Then enough other
languages made the opposite choice that a rethink was warranted.

PHP was just copying Perl5, so it doesn't count. :)

> I really do understand that - really. But I think things are getting a
> bit overboard. The Latin-1 sigil is another discussion that nobody wants
> to admit is a legit problem, despite numerous legitimate issues. Even
> being able to type in the syntax itself is going to be problematic!

It's more a case of having had the discussion over and over again already, I
think.  Nothing came up in this thread that hadn't been said before.  The
design team is aware of the issues - really.  They simply have decided that
the trade-off in legibility worth it.

> Anyways, you can listen or not listen to those of us from real, large,
> corporate environments. I'm just trying to temper the enthusiasm for
> many of the real improvements in Perl 6 with some of the real costs -
> which are largely being ignored as "no big deal".

Again, I don't think it's "no big deal" so much as "already acknowledged and
stipulated."  For instance, we already have non-ASCII operators, so the
introduction of ยข doesn't introduce any new issues of the sort being
discussed.

> I'm a big Perl advocate, but I guess I'm just not sure if I'm gonna be a
> big Perl 6 advocate yet. There's alot of downsides and real business risk.

I don't think there are "a lot of downsides".  There is definitely a risk,
as with any new technology, and I'm largely adopting a wait-and-see attitude
myself, but I don't see any huge negatives anywhere.  What are these
downsides?

>From a practical standpoint, it will be a while before I have to worry about
Perl6 professionally, because we're not going to want to use it until it's
been around long enough to have some kinks worked out.