On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 20:12 +0000, Nick Glencross wrote:

> I certainly agree about what was being said about supporting multiple
> backends as it protects us against future nasty platforms. However, I'm
> unclear what the benefits of the favoured option of using JIT code was;
> that sounds like reinventing a ff library.

Having a JIT was a goal anyway.  It avoids potential license conflicts.
It removes one dependency.  It potentially reduces executable size and
memory use.  It's something we can patch and test and customize as we
need, especially with regard to our calling conventions.

Those might not all be current benefits; I'm just going by memory and
not arguing for or against ffcall or libffi.

-- c