# New Ticket Created by  jerry gay
# Please include the string:  [perl #37700]

On 11/12/05, chromatic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'd like to change where print output and warnings and errors go within
> a section of PIR code, like you can change them in C and Perl by closing
> and reopening the file descriptor or localizing the typeglob,
> respectively.
>
> This is important for the pure-PIR Parrot::Test.
>
> I've looked at the ParrotIO PMC and I can't immediately see anything
> useful.  I've also read the code for the print opcode and don't see a
> good hook there.
>
> Are there any other ideas or suggestions?

i've asked leo to take a look at this, and it seems we're missing an
op (freopen) that would make this possible. we've already got fdopen,
getfd, getstdout, getstderr, so we're mostly there.

the trouble is, we need a stdio io layer for freopen to work. leo says
the stdio and unix/win32 io layer can't coexist yet, as all are
typedef'ing PIO_HANDLE. this could be solved by an io->fd union,
thankfully.

so, we don't have that functionality yet, but i'm posting this as a
TODO so we can track the request.
~jerry