On Nov 22, 2005, at 18:50, Roger Browne wrote:

Leopold Toetsch wrote:

  .HLL_map .LexPad -> .DynLexPad           # (2)

Why not use "," instead of "->"? It would be one less special-case for
the PIR programmer to remember.

No problem. If folks prefer a comma I'll change it.

PDD20 says:
   .HLL "Tcl", "tcl_group"
   P0 = new Integer    # really TclInteger

What do I write when I really want a new Integer (e.g. to pass to a
routine written in something other than the current .HLL?)?

Ah, have missed that in the pdd - that's misleading.

  $P0 = new .Integer

always produces a .Integer and never a mapped type. If the programmer wants that she can always write:

  $P0 - new .TclInt

Mapped types are only created inside Parrot C code and never from PASM/PIR.

E.g. the builtin Complex.abs() vtable has to create a .Float result. Here the mapping of a .Float to a .PyNum is honored. The same is true, when Parrot has to create a lexpad on behalf of the HLL, then a mapping is used.

Regards,
Roger Browne

leo