On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 08:25:48PM +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> It used to be that WWW::Mechanize was a "good enough" testing tool for
> my web applications.
>
> It doesn't do Javascript, but I used very minimal
> Javascript and thus worked around that limitation.
>
> Along comes AJAX. It offers benefits that make JavaScript seem worth
> using.
>
> But now how I can test the application? I have a link that uses AJAX to
> pull in some content that gets displayed in a new layer, including a
> form I'd like to submit.
>
> Mozilla::Mechanize seems like a potential answer here, but so far I
> haven't run across people who are actually using it to test sites with
> Javascript. (It has enough dependencies that I'm putting off installing
> it myself just yet. :)
>
> What are other folks doing to test web applications that make heavy use
> of JavaScript?
>
>     Mark

Oh, my juggling friend, you've asked this question at the exact right
time.

Over here at Sophos, we've recently started using Selenium, a browser
based web testing tool.  It's all written in Javascript, so it runs
entirely in the browser, which means that all of the javascript in
your application is run just like what the user sees.

And (you're super lucky), I've JUST created a screencast that shows
just how easy it is to get started with selenium:

  http://www.yi.org/~luke/selenium-intro.mov

I was interviewed by qapodcast.com about Selenium recently:

  http://tinyurl.com/9k242

Our web manager uses lots of ajax and javascript, and we're able to
use selenium to test on all our supported browsers (IE, FF, Safari).

The selenium website is here:

  http://selenium.thoughtworks.com

HTH,
Luke