Hi Peter,

There are several source filters that make select changes and modules
that give select Perl 6 features to Perl 5. All in all, there's a
lot there -- I've written Perl6::Contexts, for example, which diddles
the bytecode to give Perl 5 programs most of the new contexts from
Perl 6. In fact, I kind of even wrote a book on doing this stuff...
http://www.perl6now.com. If you download the code listings, you'll get
examples of a couple dozen of these modules. As far as your example
of $array[idx], see Perl6::Variables. I have non-release version on
Perl6::Variables in my CPAN area, SWALTERS, that adds more of the
Perl 6 changes.

I know this isn't the approach you had in mind, but I thought I'd
mention it, as there is actually stuff there to play with. Fundamentally,
regexen to transform a Perl program aren't a bad idea, but this
approach, of fixing up Perl 5, is less likely to introduce bugs
into the code and keeps the production-ready environment that Perl 5 is.
Transforming the code isn't a bad idea where there are transformations,
but in many cases, there aren't. I suppose that could be a fatal error,
but people would still be trying to "convert" their Perl 5 programs,
much as when people where converting to C from B, and any failure
scenario would create a flood of help requests, bug reports, etc.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,
-scott