Hi y'all,
  I signed up for this mailing list a few days ago with interest in
participating in
the Phalanx Project. I'm a part of SanDiego.pm and sent an e-mail yesterday to
see if anyone else in San Diego wants to also help out.  Anyway, I'm using
the ContactTheAuthor template (from the kwiki) to construct the message below,
and want some feedback on if it's adequate or not.  Also, I noticed the template
mention another mailing list for the module author to keep track of
progress: how
do I get a perl.org subversion account? Is that after the module
author accepts the
proposal? I've been sifting throught the archives of this mailing
list, trying to get
a bit more of a background of what's being done already.  Should I
start by doing
something else initially? Anyway, if anyone could steer me in the
right direction
I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
David

----------
Subject: Mail::Sendmail and the Phalanx Project

Milivoj Ivkovic,

My name is David Romano and I've joined the Phalanx project.

    The Phalanx project has three goals:

        1. Strengthen CPAN's tests, coverage and documentation
        2. Strengthen Perl's tests and coverage
        3. Bring in newcomers to the Perl development process

    When Ponie was announced in July 2003, we knew that it would
    require a regression test suite larger than Perl had ever had
    before. Fortunately, with the CPAN, we have a huge selection to
    choose from. Based on the assumption that the 80/20 rule holds
    true for CPAN usage, we shifted it to the 98/2 rule. We're
    hoping that the 100 distributions we've selected, mostly on
    rough statistical analysis of usage, will cover a huge part of
    the CPAN that's used by the Perl community.

    http://qa.perl.org/phalanx/

As a member of the Phalanx Project, I want to work on Mail::Sendmail,
a module you currently maintain.

What does this mean for you?  Free patches!  Our goal is to bring your
module's test coverage as close to 100% as possible.  We'll be writing
tests, fixing bugs as they're found, and documenting things as we go.
We can send you patches as we make changes, or one big patch when
we're done.  It's completely up to you.

If I get your okay, I'll start a group so that others can help out if they
want to. If you would like to join in the fun, just let me know.  We'll be
coordinating efforts in our group's repository and mailing list.  A
second list has been set up for commit notices, so you can track what
we're doing with a minimum of effort.  I'll supply all the necessary
information if you're interested.  I look forward to hearing back from
you.

Thank you for maintaining Mail::Sendmail.  On behalf of the Phalanx
Project, I hope you'll accept our offer of assistance.

David Romano