On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, Darren Duncan wrote:

Actually, I don't like autovivification either, and wish there was a pragma to make attempts to do it a fatal error; it smacks too much of using variables that weren't declared with 'my' etc. I prefer to put in the

What has the latter to do with autovivification? Luke was referring to autovivification in the sense of, say, complex data structures. In Perl 5 we can (strict-)safely write

my $x;
$x->{foo}[42][2005]{bar}='quux';

Would you like to have to explicitly and verbosely declare the shape of the structure held in $x instead?

Michele
--
People can parse multi-dimensionally.  Computers cannot... yet.
- chromatic in p6l, "Re: Parsing indent-sensitive languages".