On 1/18/06, Bernhard Schmalhofer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> jerry gay (via RT) schrieb:
> >perl modules necessary for parrot configuration, development, and
> >testing have been either committed to the parrot repo, assumed to be
> >installed by the user, or (in some cases) checked for in code that
> >uses them.
> >
> >this mish-mash is causing confusion for developers, testers, and end
> >users of parrot. all of them are left asking the same question, "what
> >external modules do i need to use parrot?"
> >
> >we should have a better answer than "run it and see."
> >
> >i think that better answer should be in the form of CPAN bundles. a
> >development bundle (Bundle::Parrot::Devel), a test bundle (::Test),
> >perhaps a seperate smoke bundle (::Smoke), and perhaps a bundle for
> >end users (::Install.)
> >

> We could also go the other way.  Put everthing we need into the Parrot
> repository, so that the answer to the above question would be:
>
>    Nothing, it is all in the distribution.

true, but i think DRY (don't repeat yourself) applies here. there's
already a standard repository for these modules, so why clutter the
parrot repo? users can then install only the cpan bundles they need,
rather than a whole host of modules they won't use if they're not
testers or developers.

~jerry